Published: October 28, 2021
You’ve decided the time has come to upgrade your cash receipting system or billing system, or even to install a new financial management system, but where do you start? How do you ensure implementation goes to plan?
SAO’s new resource covers best practices before and after you go live with new financial or accounting software. It includes:
- Advice on assessing security options before you purchase, with some critical areas you should consider
- Guidance on user access, which is the process of setting user permissions within software. This frequently overlooked step helps ensure staff have access only to the data they need to perform their jobs.
- Tips on the type of documentation you should maintain to demonstrate your due diligence when audit time rolls around
- Additional security considerations, such as deleting default user IDs and improving account security with multi-factor authentication
- Links to additional Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) resources should you want to read more on the topics we touch on
Have a question about these best practices or another IT-related issue? Submit your questions to our IT Audit technicians using the HelpDesk in the client portal. We hope you find the information in this article helpful, and we encourage you to email SAO’s Center for Government Innovation at Center@sao.wa.gov with your questions, comments or recommendations for new resources.