Training and Workshops
Filing training and other resources
The State Auditor’s Office (SAO) provides training to local government staff to help them file their annual report, and works with partners to provide classes in finance, budgeting, accounting, reporting and other relevant fields.
|Annual BARS Update Training|
|Annual Filing Workshops and Training|
|In Person Trainings|
Annual BARS Update Training
The Annual BARS Update webinars occur in the fall each year. The webinars are a no-cost, CPE eligible training offered by SAO’s Local Government Support Team. Webinar topics include important accounting and reporting updates coming to the BARS Manuals, annual report filing changes, new BARS codes, and more.
Registration for the 2022 trainings will be available in September 2022.
- Prior year recorded webinars can be found in the eLearnings section below.
Annual Filing Workshops and Training
The annual report deadline is 150 days after a government’s fiscal year end. Annual reports for governments whose fiscal year end is December 31, 2021 were due by May 30, 2022.
These webinars will provide an overview of annual report’s components and a walk-through of the online reporting system.
2022 webinar recordings of the fiscal year 2021 filing system overview can be found in the eLearnings section below.
One on One Workshops
We offer one-on-one filing workshops for local governments that have started the filing process and have specific questions. The workshops will be virtual, using video or conference call services.
Local governments will be able to register for a one-hour time slot for individualized assistance.
Registration for the 2022 filing season will open in February 2023.
For assistance or filing support please contact LGCSFeedback@sao.wa.gov or call the voicemail line (564) 201-2975.
The State Auditor’s Office is pleased to offer free, web-based training.
Open for registration
- New live webinars coming soon!
- 2020 BARS Update:
- This training is a recording of the October 2020 webinar for the 2nd Annual BARS Updates for GAAP and Cash Basis BARS, including information on Asset Retirement Obligations, Fiduciary Activities, OPEB, BARS Coding changes, annual filing updates, and more.
- 2021 BARS Update *NEW December 2021*
- This training is a recording of the October 2021 webinar for the 3rd Annual BARS Updates for GAAP and Cash Basis BARS, including information on Landfill closure vs. Pollution Remediation vs. Asset Retirement Obligations, Fiduciary Activities, BARS Coding changes, annual filing updates, and more.
- Annual Online Filing System webinar *NEW April 26, 2022*:
- This video is designed for new users or local governments who would like a refresher on how to use the online reporting system. This webinar will include an overview of the annual report’s components and a walk-through of the online reporting system, applicable for Fiscal Year 2021 filing.
- Introduction to the BARS Manuals (eLearning runs 50:00)
- Covers the basic contents of the Budgeting, Accounting and Reporting System (BARS) Manuals and guidelines for navigating the manuals.
- Lease Recordings
- OPEB for Cash Basis Governments (eLearning runs 41:00)
- This webinar covers the Other Post-Employment Benefits reporting requirements, resources, and tools available for Cash Basis local governments.
- Pension Calculations for Cash Basis Governments (eLearning runs 1:00:17)
- This webinar provides an interactive walk-thru session on how to use SAO’s Cash Basis BARS Pension Calculation Worksheet, update the Schedule 09, and the pension notes to reflect the FY2021 pension status of Department of Retirement System plans.
- Schedule 06: Bank Reconciliations for Cash Basis Governments (eLearning runs 1:25:20)
- This webinar covers the Schedule 06 reporting requirements, resources, and tools available for Cash Basis cities, towns, and counties.
Not finding what you are looking for? Check out other eLearnings available on our Solutions and Resources page.
Register for training classes in finance, budgeting, accounting, reporting and other relevant fields through WFOA’s Non-Conference Training page.
For more information or questions regarding any of the trainings listed above contact LGCSFeedback@sao.wa.gov.