Training and Workshops
Filing training and other resources
The State Auditor’s Office (SAO) provides training to local government staff to help them file their annual report, and works with partners to provide classes in finance, budgeting, accounting, reporting and other relevant fields.
|Annual BARS Update Training|
|Annual Filing Workshops and Training|
|In Person Trainings|
Annual BARS Update Training
The Annual BARS Update webinars occur in the fall each year. The webinars are a no-cost, CPE eligible training offered by SAO’s Local Government Support Team. Webinar topics include important accounting and reporting updates coming to the BARS Manuals, annual report filing changes, new BARS codes, and more.
Save the Date – Registration coming soon!
- GAAP Webinars
- Wednesday October 20, 2021 9:00 – 11:00 AM
- Tuesday October 26, 2021 1:00 – 3:00 PM
- Thursday October 28, 2021 1:00 – 3:00 PM
- Wednesday November 3, 2021 1:00 – 3:00 PM
- Wednesday November 17, 2021 9:00 – 11:00 AM
- CASH Webinars
- Tuesday October 19, 2021 9:00 – 11:00 AM
- Thursday October 21, 2021 9:00 – 11:00 AM
- Wednesday October 27, 2021 1:00 – 3:00 PM
- Wednesday November 3, 2021 9:00 – 1:00 AM
- Wednesday November 17, 2021 1:00 – 3:00 PM
Prior year recorded webinars can be found in the eLearnings section below.
Annual Filing Workshops and Training
The annual report deadline is 150 days after a government’s fiscal year end. Annual reports for governments whose fiscal year end is December 31, 2020, were due by May 30, 2021.
2020 annual filing season workshops and webinars are complete. For assistance or filing support please contact LGCSFeedback@sao.wa.gov.
The State Auditor’s Office is pleased to offer free, web-based training.
Open for registration
- New live webinars coming soon!
- See the Annual BARS Update trainings at the top of the page.
- Lease Recordings
- Introduction to the BARS Manuals (eLearning runs 50:00)
- Covers the basic contents of the Budgeting, Accounting and Reporting System (BARS) Manuals and guidelines for navigating the manuals.
- SAO 2020 BARS Update:
- This training is a recording of the October 2020 webinar for the 2nd Annual BARS Updates for GAAP and Cash Basis BARS, including information on Asset Retirement Obligations, Fiduciary Activities, OPEB, and BARS Coding changes, annual filing updates, and more.
- SAO Recording – OPEB for Cash Basis Governments (eLearning runs 41:00)
- This webinar covers the Other Post-Employment Benefits reporting requirements, resources, and tools available for Cash Basis local governments.
- SAO Recording – Schedule 06: Bank Reconciliations for Cash Basis Governments (eLearning runs 1:25:20)
- This webinar covers the Schedule 06 reporting requirements, resources, and tools available for Cash Basis cities, towns, and counties.
Not finding what you are looking for? Check out other eLearnings available on our Solutions and Resources page.
Register for training classes in finance, budgeting, accounting, reporting and other relevant fields through WFOA’s Non-Conference Training page.
For more information or questions regarding any of the trainings listed above contact LGCSFeedback@sao.wa.gov.