Training and Workshops
Filing training and other resources
The State Auditor’s Office (SAO) provides training to local government staff to help them file their annual report, and works with partners to provide classes in finance, budgeting, accounting, reporting and other relevant fields.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the annual fall roadshows have been cancelled. The 2nd Annual BARS Update webinars will continue and information can be found in the eLearnings section below.
Annual Filing Workshops
The annual report deadline is 150 days after a government’s fiscal year end. The annual report deadline for governments whose fiscal year end is December 31, 2020, is due May 30, 2021. State law does not provide for any exceptions. Each year we provide free annual report filing assistance to help governments meet the deadline.
Whether you’re a new user or simply need a refresher on the online reporting system, we are here to help! If you need assistance with any part of the annual report filing process, we encourage you to contact us via the information below to schedule an appointment.
We provide one-on-one assistance through conference or video call. Local governments will be able to register for a one-hour time slot for individualized assistance.
2021 Annual filing workshop information will be coming in early 2021.
For more information or questions regarding the filing workshops contact LGCSFeedback@sao.wa.gov.
The State Auditor’s Office is pleased to offer free, web-based training opportunities to help train government staff:
Open for registration
- New live webinars coming in 2021!
- An Introduction to Annual Filing
- and more!
- Leases, as of February 2020 (eLearning runs 27:51)
- Covers the changes to governmental lease accounting and reporting for both GAAP and Cash Basis.
- Introduction to the BARS Manuals (eLearning runs 50:00)
- Covers the basic contents of the Budgeting, Accounting and Reporting System (BARS) Manuals and guidelines for navigating the manuals.
- SAO 2019 BARS Update:
- This training is a recording of the Fall 2019 Roadshow BARS Update and provides the update to the BARS Manuals, including information on Asset Retirement Obligations, Leases, Fiduciary Funds, OPEB, and more.
- SAO 2020 BARS Update: NEW!
- This training is a recording of the 2nd Annual BARS Updates for GAAP and Cash Basis BARS, including information on Asset Retirement Obligations, Fiduciary Activities, OPEB, and BARS Coding changes, annual filing updates, and more.
- SAO Recording – OPEB for Cash Basis Governments (eLearning runs 41:00)
- This webinar covers the Other Post-Employment Benefits reporting requirements, resources, and tools available for Cash Basis local governments.
- SAO Recording – Schedule 06: Bank Reconciliations for Cash Basis Governments (eLearning runs 1:25:20)
- This webinar covers the Schedule 06 reporting requirements, resources, and tools available for Cash Basis cities, towns, and counties.
Not finding what you are looking for? Check out other eLearnings available on our Solutions and Resources page.
Register for training classes in finance, budgeting, accounting, reporting and other relevant fields through WFOA’s Non-Conference Training page.
For more information or questions regarding any of the trainings listed above contact LGCSFeedback@sao.wa.gov.