Our goal at the State Auditor’s Office (SAO) is to help you prevent, detect and report fraud in your government. For a general overview, read about Preventing and Detecting Fraud in Your Organization.
Establish internal financial controls
To help prevent fraud of government funds or property, establish effective internal controls. The following resources will help you understand how to create, implement and evaluate internal controls in your organization.
Internal Control Guidebook
- Download Internal Control Guidebook (PDF) »
- Developed by the NASC Multi-State Consortium on Internal Control, in cooperation with the SAO, this comprehensive guidebook introduces government employees to the principles of internal controls. It also includes a series of questionnaires to help management evaluate their controls, especially in mid-size or large governments.
Internal Controls Assessment Tools downloads
- Control Environment (PDF) »
- Cash (PDF) »
- Billing and Receivables (PDF) »
- Credit Card Receipts (PDF) »
- Petty Cash (PDF) »
- Vendor Payments (PDF) »
- Payroll (PDF) »
Additional resources to help combat fraud
- Go to the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE) Publications
- The ACFE is the world’s largest anti-fraud organization and a leading provider of anti-fraud training and education. The association’s 65,000 members work together to reduce business fraud worldwide while inspiring public confidence in the integrity and objectivity within the profession.
If you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.